PPG SigmaCover 246 is a two-component, polyamide high-build general-purpose epoxy primer/buildcoat, containing zinc phosphate. Easy to apply by airless spray, SigmaCover 246 is ideal for the protection of steel structures in atmospheric exposure.
Product Features and Benefits
- General-purpose epoxy coating in protective coating systems for the protection of steel structures in atmospheric exposure
- Good adhesion to steel
- Good flow and wetting properties
- Easy application by airless spray
- Cures at temperatures down to 5°C (41°F)
- Good performance on top of zinc silicate primers
- Colours available: Redbrown, Cream, Grey
- Eggshell finish
Method of Application
- Airless spray
- Application by brush may show brush marking, due to the thixatropic nature of the paint and is most suitable to small areas, tight angle areas or for stripe coating or touch-up
- Application by roller will leave roller marking and is suitable for minimum DFT requirements only
- A roller suitable for epoxy application must be used
- Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing (please refer to sheet 1433 and 1434)
Please refer to the product Data Sheet for further surface preparation, mixing and application instructions.
- PPG SigmaCover 246 has an unlimited overcoating interval provided the surface is free from chalking and other contaminations
- In cases of exposure to direct sunlight or when the surface is contaminated it is recommended that the surface be cleaned and roughened to ensure good adhesion of the subsequent coating
- The optimum intercoat adhesion is obtained when the subsequent coating is applied before the full cure time of the previous coating has elapsed
Please refer to the product Data Sheet for more information or contact us for free technical advice.
Refer to product Data Sheet for required volume of thinner for PPG SigmaCover 246.
For paint and recommended thinners see Information Sheets 1430, 1431 and the relevant Material Safety Data Sheets.
This is a solvent-borne paint and care should be taken to avoid inhalation of spray mist or vapour, as well as contact between the wet paint and exposed skin or eyes.
Please refer to the product Data Sheet and Material Safety Data Sheets for full details regarding the safe use of this product. We also offer free technical advice – click here to contact us.