PPG SigmaCover 256 is a two-component, high-build, polyamide-cured recoatable zinc phosphate epoxy primer or build coat, for steel and concrete structures in atmospheric exposure.
Product Features and Benefits
- General-purpose epoxy primer or buildcoat in protective coating systems, for steel and concrete structures in atmospheric exposure
- Suitable for atmospheric industrial and marine applications
- Can be recoated with various two-component and conventional coatings, even after long weathering periods
- Lead- and chromate free
- Excellent rust preventing properties in industrial or coastal atmospheres
- Tough, with long-term flexibility
- Cures even at temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Good adhesion to steel, galvanized steel and aged epoxy coatings
- Easy application, both by airless spray and brush
- Can be used as epoxy primer/finish (for dry internal areas)
- Available in cream (other colours on request)
- Eggshell finish
Method of Application
- Air spray
- Airless spray
- The temperature of the mixed base and hardener should preferably be above 15°C (59°F), otherwise extra thinner may be required to obtain application viscosity
- Thinner should be added after mixing the components
- Adding too much thinner results in reduced sag resistance and slower cure
Please refer to the product Data Sheet for further surface preparation, mixing and application instructions.
- PPG SigmaCover 256
- PPG SigmaCover 435
- PPG SigmaCover 456
- PPG SigmaCover 410
- PPG SigmaDur 520
- PPG SigmaDur 550
- Various chlorinated rubbers, vinyls, acrylates and alkyd paints – contact us for details
PPG SigmaCover 256 should not be overcoated with coal tar epoxy coatings.
Please refer to the product Data Sheet for further overcoating instructions or contact us for free technical advice.
Thinner should be added after mixing the components. Adding too much thinner results in reduced sag resistance and slower cure.
Refer to product Data Sheet for required volume of thinner for PPG SigmaCover 256.
For paint and recommended thinners see Information Sheets 1430, 1431 and the relevant Material Safety Data Sheets.
Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing (please refer to sheet 1433 and 1434).
This is a solvent-borne paint and care should be taken to avoid inhalation of spray mist or vapour, as well as contact between the wet paint and exposed skin or eyes.
Please refer to the product Data Sheet and Material Safety Data Sheets for full details regarding the safe use of this product. We also offer free technical advice – click here to contact us.